In a much-needed boost for USA Cricket’s embattled governing body, a lawsuit against its board was dismissed, ending an ongoing legal squabble ahead of a deadline for sport in America.
In a media release on Friday, USA Cricket said the lawsuit filed by former captain and former manager Sushil Nadkarni and St. Louis USA Cricket Academy founder Ajay Jump was dismissed in full by the Jefferson County Court in Colorado on May 11.
The lawsuit alleged numerous violations of the United States Cricket Constitution by the Nominating and Governance Committee and demanded the creation of a new Cricket Committee.
Prosecutors also sought suspension due to the delay of the USA Cricket elections until the legal case is concluded.
“The USA Cricket Board currently plans to hold the postponed 2022 elections to be 100 per cent in accordance with their electoral commitments,” USA Cricket said in a media release.
USA Cricket urges its members and the community to maintain their faith in the NGC and the electoral process.
“The lawsuit has had a significant impact on the organisation’s current financial situation and the court order gives relief to the board of directors and the entire cricket community who are optimistic to see cricket move forward in the country.”
The situation has been monitored by the International Cricket Council (ICC), the sport’s governing body, whose board has been on the brink of ‘notice’ USA Cricket – as it first reported last month – over its ongoing instability and inability to meet standards. Membership of the International Criminal Court. .
Whether the court’s decision and USA Cricket’s pledge to hold an election will change the board’s sentiment is not yet known with the ICC’s annual general meeting in South Africa still six weeks away.
There has long been concern about a leadership vacuum amid an intense power struggle in American cricket, which was ultimately accounted for by the outstanding leadership duo of Parag Marath, longtime San Francisco 49ers chief official, and former ICC chief. Operating Officer Ian Higgins.
If USA Cricket is notified and remains non-compliant after one year, the board can face suspension and eventual expulsion as a member. The American Cricket Association’s former governing body was expelled in 2017, capping off a turbulent period marked by three suspensions.
This familiar chaos appears in the background as American cricket gears up for the premier professional T20 tournament – Major League Cricket in July to be played at Grand Prairie Stadium in Dallas.
The 18-day tournament has struggled with emergence issues and was only officially sanctioned last month – as first reported – after a dispute between USA Cricket and league organizers threatened its standing.
But the heeler MLC – with a footprint of the heavily funded Indian Premier League and with investors pouring in more than $100m – has moved on and lured many well-known players from cricketing powerhouses England and Australia.
The MLC has caused some concern from the authorities in the United Kingdom as some English players seek the higher pay offered in the US Emerging Championship. Power hitter Jason Roy caused a stir when he ended his deal with England so he could sign an MLC contract worth around $200,000 a season.
While there is genuine excitement over the launch of the MLC leading up to next year’s T20 World Cup being hosted in the US, constant shenanigans in the background threaten to spoil the party.
But US officials are hopeful that their victory on the court is just the beginning of a brighter path for what has been a turbulent journey for cricket in this sought-after region.