A 34-year-old man was arrested Tuesday evening in connection with the killings of four people who were found dead earlier in the day at the Bowdoin, Maine home, authorities said.
State police said the killings appeared to be linked to a series of near miss highway shootings that left three drivers injured – one seriously – shortly after the four bodies were discovered.
The man who was arrested was identified by the Maine State Police as Joseph Eaton.
Eaton has been transferred to Two Bridges Regional Jail and will appear in court for the first time later in the week, state police said in a news release Tuesday evening. Officials said Wednesday that Eaton is only charged with the killings at this time.
CNN has not yet been able to locate an attorney for Eaton.
“Detectives will work throughout the night to process multiple scenes and continue to interview the people involved in this incident,” the state police said in a press release.
The police did not reveal details of a possible motive in the two incidents, nor did they reveal details about the four dead in the house.
in a permit On Twitter, Maine Gov. Janet Mills said, “Like people across Maine, I am shocked and deeply saddened – acts of violence like the one we witnessed today shake our state and our communities to the core.”
Maine police responded Tuesday morning to the Bowdoin home, finding the four deceased victims inside, state police Lt. Randall Kitten said at a press conference earlier Tuesday.
Soon after, authorities received reports of several vehicles being fired upon on I-295 in the Yarmouth area, which is about 40 minutes from Bowdoin.
State police said three people were shot while driving and taken to hospital. The authorities added that at least one of the three was in critical condition on Tuesday.
“We have cars that have had direct gunfire all over that we’re getting reports of, so if anyone has punctures in their cars please contact us so we can follow up on that,” Kitten said.
The victims found at the Bowdoin home and the highway shooting are linked, Kitten said, adding that there was no threat to the public.
The four bodies were taken to the office of the chief medical examiner in Augusta, where an autopsy will determine the manner and cause of death.
Authorities have asked anyone who may have witnessed something or have any information about Tuesday morning’s events to contact them.
“A lot happened this morning between those two scenes and these are the people we want to talk to, these people who were affected by this,” Kitten said, adding that authorities continue to work on the many affected scenes and gather more information.